I was talking with a friend of mine today, and we saw a military base and discussed radiation poisoning. I said to him, “Killing people always seems like a bad idea”. He pointed out that people say that until they have the same bad idea. Both are true, but it’s worth noting that there are basics like that out there.
In reading Twitter today, it occurred to me that not everyone is aware of basic morality, especially in the area of politics, which seems to be out of touch with the moral universe at the present time.
With that in mind:
1) Killing people is a bad idea in general.
2) Lying is wrong. There are often penalties for that. There should be. Even if there are not penalties for it in your particular field of endeavor, it’s still wrong.
3) We need a planet to live on. Without one, all other discussions are beside the point.
4) People should be seen as more important than money.
5) Stealing and/or swindling are wrong.
6) Threatening a witness is a crime.
7) Lying to someone, or obfuscating, in order to steal is wrong.
8) There is reality. There are facts. They may be unpleasant, but they are still facts.
9) There is a limit to how much a person needs to live.
10) Regardless of what retailers and advertisers say, you can’t have it all.
11) Lying more frequently doesn’t make something more true. It’s still a lie.
12) Mocking others for being idealists/dreamers only makes the world less idealistic and more depressing.
13) Blaming or shaming someone for something they can not change (I.e., who they are) adds nothing to the world.
14) Regarding religion: God can do any fool thing God wants to. We have to cope…God doesn’t.
15) If you don’t like people who do “x”, don’t be one.
16) Listening before speaking is polite and worth doing.
Honestly, these don’t seem very hard to live with to me.
These are random thoughts…. I’m sure I have more, but I’m tired now.
As the week goes on, let’s see how many of these simple ideas fall by the wayside in what people are doing or have done….Just saying.
Resisting with Peace,